I can't believe I cried when the ophthalmologist told me my 14 month old needed glasses.
I worried that my daughter would be teased and self-conscious about something neither of us had any control over.
I'm horrified that for a split second I thought about just ignoring her medical problem.
I'm embarrassed that within the first 5 minutes of diagnosis I asked at what age she could get contacts.
I'm ashamed that some of my fears were for vain reasons.
You see, Audrey was a BEAUTIFUL baby.
As her mother, I am biased of course.
People would come up to us all the time just to comment on her big beautiful eyes and her long dark curled eyelashes.
I always had both girls with me, but people were drawn to Audrey.
I felt bad for Char.
In my mind, glasses would cover her beauty.
Nobody was going to be able to tell how big her eyes were, how long her lashes were or see how her lashes curled up perfectly.
Glasses on older children and adults can be great necessary accessories and add to their appearance;
but babies' faces are pure and perfect just the way they are.
I worried about her self-esteem when she realized she was different.
The ophthalmologist explained her diagnosis and that the prognosis was good because we caught it at such a young age.
We were lucky, but it didn't make me feel any better.
Everything about what I heard that day made me sick to my stomach.
We were sent home and told to come back in 5 months to see if anything had changed (her eyes needed time to adjust after she had surgery on her tear ducts...the reason we were there in the first place).
During those next 5 months, Audrey's "bad" eye almost completely crossed in.
People were now staring at her for different reasons and stopping us to ask what was wrong with her.
People started to comment on Charlotte's beauty instead.
I prayed she would get better and that she wouldn't need glasses, but I knew she would.
Truth is, I wasn't completely shocked when the first told us she needed them. Something always felt off; I knew it in my heart, but my mind was in denial.
When she was 19 months, the doctors told us it was time to get her into glasses.
She was ready, I was ready, she needed them.
If we did nothing, she would likely go blind in the one eye.
There were no other options.
It took time for her eye to straighten out; in fact at 23 months she had to be fitted for bifocals to help out the process.
The change in Audrey herself though was immediate.
SHE COULD SEE!
It all made sense now:
why my daughter didn't smile at me when I was nursing her,
why she never made eye contact when I was holding her,why my daughter didn't smile at me when I was nursing her,
why we didn't have an emotional connection like the one her twin sister and I had.
She just couldn't see me!
There were the times when I was across the room and she would make eye contact and smile, but never when we were close; she always reacted more to sounds.
This realization BROKE MY HEART.
My baby could barely see her whole life.
This realization BROKE MY HEART.
My baby could barely see her whole life.
The day Audrey got glasses, her life started over again...she came to life.
We weren't covering her beauty, we were DISCOVERING her beauty.
She was happy,
she made eye contact,
she smiled at me all the time,
and we developed that bond I wanted us to have so bad.
We weren't covering her beauty, we were DISCOVERING her beauty.
She was happy,
she made eye contact,
she smiled at me all the time,
and we developed that bond I wanted us to have so bad.
I SAW her passion for life,
her adorable nose,
the attention she paid to details,
her beautiful red lips,
how much she loved to look at books,
her spunky personality.
her adorable nose,
the attention she paid to details,
her beautiful red lips,
how much she loved to look at books,
her spunky personality.
Over the last 2 1/2 years she's been pointed at, laughed at, made fun of and whispered about, but there are also the sweet people who come up and tell her how much they love her glasses and tell her how cute she is. I am grateful for those people.
I'm pleased with mine too.
I don't think about how much cuter she'd be without her glasses because I think she's pretty darn cute with them.
I don't think about how much cuter she'd be without her glasses because I think she's pretty darn cute with them.
I pray for the day she will outgrow her bifocals, that contacts will be an option and that she will be a candidate for lasik. I want her to have options; BUT, if she wants to wear her glasses forever, I'm fine with that too.
Her glasses have allowed her to become the BEAUTIFUL person she is (inside and out)...and I love that person!
* thanks to my friend Krista for taking this picture...it make me happy:)


6 comments:
Sam - well, maybe I'm biased too. :) I love Audrey in her glasses!!! I have to wear glasses at night because I have night myopia. To be honest with you, sometimes I wish I had to wear them all the time!!! I think I look "cooler" in glasses, and that people take me more seriously with them on. hahaha!! I'm serious! :) Just love your children for who they are, not what they look like. I know you do. XOXO
What a beautiful post, Sam. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing. You're such a great mom.
What a sweet post Sam! Your daughters are so adorable, and so sweet! I have always thought Audrey was absolutely adorable in her glasses. Thank you for being honest about something many of us moms go through. You are such a good mommy, and I've always admired you for that.
Ahhh...so sweet!! I can't believe you get people pointing at her because she has glasses! She is as cute as ever in them and I LOVE having them in Primary now, they are SO CUTE!!!!
Oh sam, beautfiul. Both of you girls, this post and you.
I'm crying. Kisses. I miss your face.
I am soooo proud of you Sam! I remember many talks with you regarding Lil Miss Audrey... She is "PERFECT" and always has been. The world is hard enough with out issues, but you see god is preparing her for greatness. I had eye troubles as a child... I WAS picked on... It was hard. Now I think I'm better off. Try and mess with me today... :) RIGHT!
Post a Comment